Pregnancy, Birth and Motherhood Support in Surrey
07786 556665 leah@thepurepeach.com

Birth of Alyssa by Lataanya

The Pure Peach  Birth Preparation   Birth of Alyssa by Lataanya

Birth of Alyssa by Lataanya

Baby #4, Alyssa born @ Croydon University Hospital on Wednesday 4th April 2018 at 2.55am, 8lbs 14oz, 41 + 2


So had done a hypnobirthing refresher course with Leah, and had read a number of books, had been regularly practising my breathing and relaxation techniques, also went to weekly pregnancy relaxation classes (also run by Leah Freeman and I would highly recommend) so was feeling extremely confident about my impending birth.


Had been having Braxton hicks for days then in the Monday I lost my mucus plug so was happy that the little lady would be arrive in the next few days. On Tuesday morning I noticed some bright red blood so called the midwife (after using Google which was a really bad idea!) She asked if I could pop down to triage just to make sure all was OK so off we headed to to CUH where we were assured everything was fine.


Went home and had a nap, was woken up from my nap with a strong surge, I knew this was no longer Braxton hicks so monitored the surges with an app from 4.45pm and they were around 20-30mins apart so Joe (hubby) made dinner for me and the boys, we put the boys to bed and then put on a film (Justice League) had to pause a few times as I had to deal with some particularly intense surges so couldn’t concentrate on the film. Once film ended the surges were around 7-10 mins apart and every time I had a surge I would need the loo (which is standard for me when in labour). Discussed with Joe that he should probably try and get some sleep because I wasn’t sure how long it would take So off he went and I thought I would try and have a sleep too…. I lay down for all of 30 seconds before the strongest surge yet took me by surprise it was very intense and rendered me stuck on my side in bed which was not nice at all, once it was over I decided I would stay in the bathroom, so had my mp3’s on my phone and just sat on the toilet relaxing. At around 12.30am I needed something else to take the edge off so got the tens machine out. My contractions were not regulating though so between 5-10mins but at 1am I told Joe I needed to go to the hospital so Joe called them and explained our situation and they said we could come in so called sitter and made our way.


We arrived at the hospital at 1.50am and was seen in triage at 2am and was told I was 4cms. I could have cried, I still had 6cms to go and although I had managed up to that point I couldn’t continue with this for hours. Joe was brilliant telling me how well I was doing and that I had this, I was on the verge of tears. We were told that the birth centre was shut (I didn’t care at that point) so we were moved to labour ward the one with the pool in, and I had decided prior I wanted a water birth but now we were there I couldn’t have thought of anything worse. We got into the room at 2.15am and I announced that I needed an epidural the midwife started talking to me but I wasn’t listening to anything she said. I then announced that I needed a poo and the midwives seemed overjoyed I couldn’t understand why as I still had so long to go but then my waters broke all over the floor and they asked if I would try kneeling on the bed for comfort so I did and then I got down to getting the little lady out!


Midwives guided me on how to get her out, her chin got a little stuck and they continued to guide us then her shoulders took a few pushes as she had her hands by her shoulders but again with the midwives help we managed beautifully. As soon as I knew I was at the “pushing” phase I no longer doubted my self I felt empowered and I knew I could it! And I Did!! I had a few grazes and a little nick but my vag was intact!! I lost a little bit more blood than they would have liked and they wanted to put me on a drip but I asked if we could monitor it a bit longer and avoid if we could, they were fine with this and I didn’t need the drip in the end! Alyssa had pooed on her way out so we had to stay for 12 hours but then we were home!


I had a wobble in the middle of my labour where I doubted my abilities and also discovered that my contractions never regulated like everyone else’s but I had a positive birth despite it being different to what I envisaged.